Tuesday Morning Crabtree Watch - 10/27

I'm ashamed to say I didn't watch the game this weekend, so my comments about Crab's first game along side VD will all be 2nd-hand. However, I will try to make it up to you with a semi stream-of-consciousness link montage.



The Game
First off - I checked in on the game at half and almost punched my cat. How do you come out of a bye week and get steamrolled in the 1st half? Seriously made me question coach, but he made up for it in the 2nd half. Not until I watched the NFL Highlights reel did I realize that it was Battle's HUGE mistake that gave them all the momentum. With that in mind, I think our D held up strong throughout the game (I would like to know how well Clements did on Johnson - box score seems to indicate he played well), and showed us that the Falcons game was an anomaly, and not the norm.

Second - the "flavor-of-the-month" quarterback debate: this bothers me way more than it should, but we're basically being asked to choose between Kourtney and Kim, when we know Khloe exists - but, in reverse (no offense khlomar). Neither is a legit QB at this level, as Greg Cosell pointed out in this recent interview. However, Hill said yesterday that Smith's "a better player now than when I got here four years ago" so who knows. I, for one, will not be holding out hope either will "make it".

Michael Crabtree
Again, I didn't watch the game, so the commentary will be brief. That said, his hands looked legit after watching some of his catches in the NFL Highlights clip above - that, coupled with his size, should provide a great target for whichever QB mentioned above doesn't lose the job. I hate to say it, but from everything I've seen/read, he seems to be the "next" TO - not a bad thing entirely, if you're only speaking to his playing abilities. Let's hope Crabs can keep his shit together and not enter the Tyson Zone. However, I hate to admit that we've started off on the wrong foot, as evidenced by this clip of Crabtree in warm-ups. I mean, we're talking about practice here.

PS - the warm-up clip features Forever by Drake; I'm sure I'm late in discovering this song, but I'm really enjoying it; it's on my current short list of songs I can listen to over and over again. I'm also glad to see Eminem with a strong showing here; I can't get enough of his quick, yet smooth, cadence.

3 comments:

  1. First, Crabtree is 6-1, 214 and TO is 6-3, 224 and I really do not see the TO comparison. (Maybe that's just the last good WR SF had?) Crabtree is significantly more agile and much more effective in the open field. And if his potential projects out, he can be a better WR than TO. He's big enough to be a factor in the red zone and quick enough to take a WR screen or slant for a big gain. He played pretty well for a rookie, but the jury is very much still out on Crabtree.

    My understanding is that Clements did not play well at all. Andre Johnson left the game early with an injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen Scott, we've got to talk about your linking etiquette. When linking to the Kardashian sisters, one never links to Wikipedia. Rather, one links to Google Images culled from the first page of results. It is much more entertaining to click on.

    Regarding the Niners, do you remember Player X? His latest column in ESPN the Magazine is about team chemistry (accessible by Insiders only). In it he writes that frequently the defense or other talented players will gripe about "how much they hate the quarterbacks" if those guys are sucking. That HAS to be what the Niners whole team other than Shaun Hill and Alex Smith are thinking right now, isn't it?

    PS - I don't like that song by Drake at all

    ReplyDelete