I like Kaiser Permanente



So over the weekend I got a mark on my leg. It was about one inch in diameter, with a small white pustule in the center. I thought it may have been an ingrown hair or bite, and those around confirmed it was a spider bite. Yesterday the redness had grown to the size you see above. Additionally, while it did not itch, it was painful enough to my calf muscle, that upon standing after sitting for a while, the pain would cause me to limp a few step before going away after 3-5 steps. After looking at spider bites online and finding pictures like this I knew that if it didn't get better, I should visit a doctor.

This morning a purple bruise color developed in the center where the original redness was, so I decided it was time for a trip to the doctor. I logged on to kp.org and took a look at available appointments online. The soonest appointment was Monday (really, three days is not that bad for scheduling a doctor appointment), but decided that I didn't want to wait over the weekend and drove to the emergency room. There was no one there at 8:30am, I was seen quickly and it was a $100 co-pay. The doctor informed me that it may or may not be a bite, but that is incidental. It was not a poisonous bite, rather it is infected. He described the bacterial infection, prescribed an antibiotic, which was available at the pharmacy when I walked over there (for a $10 co-pay) and then I walked over the the flu clinic and got a free flu shot. I was driving away at 10:00am. I pay $254/month for my own Kaiser policy, of which my company reimburses me $250 (I also have a $30/mo dental plan, so my out of pocket if $34/mo) since this is a small company and they don't have group medical insurance. Overall, I am very happy and satisfied and I like Kaiser Permanente.

7 comments:

  1. How would you have handled a similar situation given your personal preferences and your insurance situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is now my favorite FIWK post. However if you ever link to something like that random infected sore again I will punch you.

    So how does a bug bite get infected, did the Doc have insight? That seems crazy to me. Anyway $110 is a pretty expensive bug bite.

    I am in the process of changing my primary care doctor (I'm in an Anthem Blue Cross HMO) because his staff is terrible. They told me they don't give tetanus shots and had no idea where I could get one... being that they are my PCP in an HMO, they should know that I need a referral from them to get that tetanus shot anywhere. I was pissed off by this. I was incensed. I called my insurance company, who explained this requirement to them, and they were still not helpful. I am not switching doctors and filing a complaint.

    So I guess I'm saying my experience with Anthem Blue Cross HMO primaries isn't as good as your experience with Kaiser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well a bug bite can get infected like any other open wound. If you scratch yourself on a fence, that can get infected. I guess that bugs carry bacteria a little easier than the air or your normal environment?

    And that picture was the result of the poison of a brown recluse spider, not an infection (i think).

    $110 is just fine for an infection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in Royce's boat - a little fair warning would be nice next time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have sumthing that looks VERY similar to that....it freaks me out ans hurts so bad that i woulddnt be able to walk for long periods of time harsh to sit down even when i wore cloths it only made things worse...so what is it? i went from a small bit to that with in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Skunkz I feel like you should see a doctor, just in case. And hey if you have Kaiser you already know Aaron had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Skunz, most things like that are infections. You defintiely need to see a doctor to get a prescription for an antibiotic.

    ReplyDelete