Home Workspace Ideas

Our friend C-Mac at Smile Like You Mean It wrote a very interesting blog about creating a home workspace for your personal business needs. I like a lot of her suggestions.




I am nowhere near being at the point where I'd create my own home office area, but I find it interesting to think about what I would need it. Some things Caitlin suggests wouldn't work for me - I'd definitely want a desk of some kind and a filing drawer or cabinet of some kind. I keep things organized that way. A good all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/faxer would be crucial for me also.

The corkboard suggestion is one I absolutely love however. Whether you use it for personal motivation pictures like C-Mac suggests or arrange it to display site plans, project ideas, and work flow charts, the visual customization corkboard gives you would be infinitely useful. This is a must-do for my future workspace. In fact, my current cubicle has a wall of corkboard-like material and it's the most useful part of my desk.

Photos of places I want to go, places I've been, and cool art would probably make their way into my area because I do like having items of interest that can take my mind away from the task at hand. Sometimes being able to clear your mind by staring at some photos of Paris would help you get your head straight.

What your personal workspace end up looking like? Any additions or alterations to C-Mac's ideas?

3 comments:

  1. YEA YOU GUYS ADDED A JUMP BUTTON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, adding the Jump button was more complicated for us than removing the Berlin Wall for some reason... but I'm glad it's working now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the corkboard is a great piece to have in a separate home office, I would not use it in a more common living room with a desk and a computer situation. It is functional, not aesthetic. So if you have a separate room as an office great. If not, I would ditch the corkboard.

    I strongly suggest a wireless keyboard and mouse and a chair that reclines. It actually gives me a chance to relax at home while doing necessary online tasks and watching TV at the same time.

    ReplyDelete