Tuesday Morning Crabtree Watch - 12/9

Arghhhhh. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Grrr......... What happened to Frank Gore?





That's really all I can say after last weeks game. Our 20-3 domination of a surprisingly decent Jaguars team (they are 7-5 after all) - a game in which we committed one solitary penalty and did not turn the ball over once - was hailed by Niners Nation as the "most complete game" we've played in a while. That's a point I concur with wholeheartedly.

Now, onto this week's debacle (the Niners sure are good for a couple "what the eff was that?" games each year, aren't they?). The final Niners drive had me going crazy. Here at FIWK, we noted that the players were asking for more of a spread offense a few weeks back. Who knew Singeltary was so easily swayed? With :40 seconds on the clock, Niners went shotgun pass, shotgun pass, shotgun pass. Really coach? Didn't you promise smashmouth football not too long ago?

Argh...grumble...grumble...grumble.

PS - Frank Gore really is fun to watch. Let's see just a smidge more of him in the future.

5 comments:

  1. My question for is how do you feel about your team's future? Who are your best young assets who could be stars - Crabtree and Willis? Are you confident with your QB (is it Smith or Hill long term?) going forward? And how does an aging Frank Gore fit into this?

    Let me tell you from experience as an LT fan that once your franchise RB hits his stride and reaches the mid-late round range in fantasy drafts for several years running, he is getting towards the end of his prime. And then his production is going to suddenly drop off a cliff one season. Is Coffee the RB of the future you need? Is your offensive line capable and young, whether you decide to be smash-mouth or run the spread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn - that's a lot of questions; I'll try to answer in order (and with little to no research...uh oh):

    - I'm very apprehensive about our future; I'd really like to see us use these last 4 games to truly find an identity on offense. Are we going to be smashmouth? Are we going to use the spread? Are we going to be the only team in the land to find a balance using both?

    - Defensively, I'm in love with our team. If I remember correctly, our starting D is all under 30 with the exception of Justin Smith (30, and having a pro-bowl year), and Takeo Spikes (33?, and proving to be a great mentor for Willis. Our key reserves are also young (Balmer, MacDonald, Brown, and Brooks), so hopefully we can keep a large nucleus together for the next 4+ years. I can imagine that the defense would want to play for Singletary, so hopefully this is a possibility.

    - Offensively, we've got 5 guys that I absolutely want us to keep: Gore (only 26!), Crabtree (top-5 receiver over the next 10 years, imo), Davis (top TE over the next 10 years, imo), Staley (very legit LT), and I think Smith can (and will!) be a strong QB in the future.

    - In terms of our immediate needs, we need to shore up the one weakness we've had for years: the offensive line. We don't dominate in the running game, nor the passing game, with our big uglies up front, which has made it extremely hard for the offense to find an identity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd McShay released his first mock draft for the 2010 NFL Draft today.

    I don't expect us to take either of these choices, and see us more than likely trying to package one of these picks to move down in the draft and take one of the top OL (at least, that's what I'd do...).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to tell you), but Suh replaces Jake Locker as # 1 in the Mock Draft, right?

    Locker decided to head back to Udub for his Senior year, and I think McShay had him #1.

    ReplyDelete