Music Tuesdays: Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye (GLEE)


I don't know why I like this song.  But I'm pretty sure I like the Glee version better than the Gotye original.  For those who don't follow Glee, the guy in the tight shirt and red pants is a regular student.  The other guy is his older brother who has left the tiny town and is now a big actor in Hollywood.  Throughout the episode Matt Bomer acts out his very shallow role perfectly.  Ego much bigger than talent, disrespecting his younger brother, a poor role model whose minor Hollywood success has every high school student dreamily hanging on his every word. ("First tip of being a successful actor, turn into your headshots, second RAISE YOUR VOICE TO BE HEARD!!... and the most important tip for being a successful dramatic actor is POINTING!")

I like the Glee version better because I think it works better between brothers rather than a boyfriend/girlfriend.  Different dynamic, but better at evoking how hard a falling out can be.  Boyfriends and girlfriends break up all the time and get forgotten.  But to say that a brother is "just somebody that I used to know" is a pretty powerful statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment