NBA Preview by Bill Simmons

With his NBA Preview, two part column, Bill Simmons has set the stage for the coming NBA season. ESPN has also posted its NBA Power Rankings for the year, listing the Lakers #1 as is customary for the defending champ. Season tipoff is tomorrow, so it's time for us on FIWK to talk some NBA also.





I love everything about the NBA. It's my favorite sports league by a mile. I follow the minutiae of almost every player and every team. Fantasy basketball is like an addiction for me. If you love the NBA also, give me your predictions for the upcoming year.

Here are some random predictions by me:

Champions: Lakers again
As John Hollinger said, the Lakers won the title while getting hardly anything from Bynum and Farmar, our (yes our, I'm like Scott with the Niners) two most promising young guys. So we could conceivably get better. Of course the circus of Khlomar and Artest has already infuriated me. (True story - I wanted to find a ridiculous photo of Artest so I simply typed "Ron Artest" into Google Images, and there were so many ridiculous images just from his name I couldn't decide which to choose. This is not a vote of confidence for the Artest era.)

Other West Contenders: Spurs, Blazers, and Mavericks in that order
I think the Spurs stay healthy and I think Jefferson really helps them... people forget that Matt freaking Bonner started for that team last year. Getting Jefferson is a HUGE upgrade for them. But Manu and Tim are old enough and their team shallow enough that I don't think they can take the Lakers. The Mavs and Blazers both strike me as being better than people realize, but neither is completely stacked with firepower. The Blazers have the biggest upside and could finish second if Oden is really good and things break right (Martell shoots well, Miller doesn't have a fit, etc.).

Surprise West Team: Suns
Losing Shaq helps them, running more should release some talent that was dormant in Barbosa and (the injured) Amare last year, and nobody expects much so they should surprise some teams. My dark horse in this category is the Rockets.

Bad Surprise West Team: Jazz
Millsap and Boozer are in a weird situation, Kirlinko has fallen off the earth, Korver forgot how to shoot, their young guys aren't stepping up, and injuries are a huge concern for this team. Deron Williams is a total stud but this team is not a top tier playoff team - if they make the playoffs at all. I would have predicted the Hornets to fall off but after the way they quit in the playoffs last year, I don't think anyone expects New Orleans to succeed this year.

Best in the East: Cavs
I'm not sold on the Shaq situation, rather this is a massive vote of confidence for LeBron. People forget that this team finished with the best record in the East last year - with LeBron pulling the plough all by his lonesome - before getting bounced by the Magic because they couldn't match up. That team's other moves should help as much as Shaq... I think Parker is underrated and will really help LeBron with defensive duties on the wing. His shooting is also a big benefit. I think he'll be what they had hoped Pavlovic would become at the SG spot. Mo Williams will do even better this year with less pressure to be Robin to LeBron's Batman.

East Contenders are clearly the Celtics and Magic, I think they'll be good obviously. I predict a crazy good year for Rondo but injuries for the Celtics in general. The Magic I predict to have a slighlty down bounce-back year with Vince (who has never, ever been on a super good team), but they are still super talented.

Surprise East Teams: Bulls and Nets
I think both of these teams are underrated (well the Bulls are properly rated) and will have good years. Chicago's Derrick Rose is a stud. His team is very deep, especially by East standards. NJ's Devin Harris and Brook Lopez are very good. Their team is young and improving and will make a nice run I predict.

Bad Surprise East Team: 76ers
There is no definable reason that I think they're going to have a down year, I guess it's just a feeling. They're counting on Lou Williams to run the point, but the guy is not a real PG. They still don't have a bevy of perimeter shooters and Elton Brand hasn't been healthy in years. I like Thaddeus Young a lot but he's a very good role player, not a star to carry a team. That said Simmons likes Brand to have a comeback year and thinks the Sixers will be frisky, so who knows. The Wizards are the other team I expect to not be as good as others predict.

Worst in the League: Bucks
This is a sad sad team. Jennings won't tear it up in his first year, Bogut may or may not be healthy, and Michael Redd will quit if he isn't actively traded early in the season. What a mess.

What are your predictions in any of the above categories? Any categories you want to make up and predict in addition to these?

10 comments:

  1. I also plan to put together some player predictions and put them in a fantasy NBA manifesto tomorrow. There is no secret to predicting NBA success, though. Simmons cracked it on a recent podcast - you just look for the talented 2nd and 3rd year guys who had an offseason to put it all together and ready to break through in the coming season. This form of scouting has a very high success rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clippers are truly amazing... Blake Griffin already has a broken kneecap. That is some crazy bad luck they have. I would downgrade their expectations but my expectations were already in the basemant - Simmons thinks they have a good team on paper, but that's like saying Baron Davis made them better on paper. Sounds great until he actively quits on his coach and gains 40 pounds mid-season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: If I had known about the matching tattoos they got yesterday I would've used that as my Khlomar picture. Ugh.

    Way to prepare for the season opener today, Lamar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One other NBA story in the news today that I found interesting is that the Celtics won't pay Rondo to keep him. They are offering $45 million to his desired $60 million for a five year deal. His agent says he's looking to get Rondo paid like one of the top 5 point guards in the NBA... which seems reasonable, considering he is one of the top 5 point guards in the NBA and will be for the next five years. I agree with Simmons' take:

    "How will he handle Danny Ainge shopping him while publicly dragging him through the mud this past June? Will it bother him that the Celtics didn't care about signing him to an extension? Why are they so afraid to commit to him? ... Why is everyone so willing to forget how unbelievably he played against Chicago this past spring? ... Why risk pushing away someone this good? What am I missing? I remain confused."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our friend Foes can't post, but here are his predictions:

    Champions: Anyone but the Lakers
    I don’t think they will repeat this year as much as it hurts me to say it. The rest of the league is too strong. I think Kobe or Gasol will go down at some point. My guess is the Celtics (if they stay healthy)

    Other West Contenders: Stupid category everyone knows the contenders

    Surprise West Team: Mavs
    I think the matrix fits in well there and they do better than people expect

    Bad Surprise West Team: Clippers
    Blake Griffin broke his knee cap already.

    Best in the East: Celtics
    If they stay Healthy. Otherwise I go with the Magic. Can anyone one remember the last time Vince Carter actually tried? I think he pours it on this year and the Magic will be sick.

    East Contenders Stupid category everyone knows the contenders

    Surprise East Teams: Wizards
    I see them making the playoffs for the first time since Agent Zero got signed to that retarded contract.

    Bad Surprise East Team: Bulls
    I think the bills will suck again

    Worst in the League: Kings
    I think I can name like one guy on their team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just for fun let me see if I can name the Kings core roster before checking:

    Beno Udrih
    Kevin Martin
    Andres Nocioni
    Jason Thompson
    Spencer Hawes
    Tyreke Evans
    Francisco Garcia

    Ok now let me check...

    I can tell you I'm pissed that I forgot these guys: Sergio Rodriguez, the subject of hotly tracked trade rumors in Portland haha; Desmond Mason (apparently starting); and Omri Casspi (just drafted Israeli guy).

    Other quasi-notables are Jon Brockman and Donte Green (last year's picks) and Sean May's tumescent figure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, so there's a Tony Parker AND an Anthony Parker?

    Didn't Spencer Hawes play for Washington and Tyreke Evans played for Memphis?

    There are 57 players in the NBA with "son" in their first or last name.

    Other than their team, what is the difference between Jason Richardson and Richard Jefferson?

    What do Rashard Lewis, Dwyane Wade, Dwight Howard, and Chris Paul have in common?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Additional follow-up note from my waterfall of NBA comments - #9 and #4 on Simmons' 2nd page of the preview are great examples of why he is one of the best NBA writers today. In both instances he shows the dichotomy between some superstars' talent and their proclivity to generate meaningful wins. Totally agree with everything.

    Aaron to answer your questions:

    Tony Parker and Anthony Parker are different guys, yes. You'll know Anthony Parker by the time the Cavs make a playoff run, I predict.

    You are correct about where Hawes and Evans played. Two years ago Derrick Rose also came out of Memphis - that's a good track record with highly drafted guards. Both Hawes and Jon Brockman (Sac's other center) came out of Washington and are similar in that they're under-the-rim, beefy white centers. Weird they ended up on the same NBA team drafted two years apart.

    J-Rich and Jefferson have some similarities in that they're both athletic swingmen, now on rivals. They shoot pretty well from the perimeter - Richardson is the more accomplished marksman - and do a little creating also.

    What do those last four guys have in common, Aaron?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you answered all the rhetorical/joke questions and missed the only seriously relevant NBA question I posed.

    Those four guys led the six counting (non percentage) fantasy categories. This points to the dominance of Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.

    All the information above comes from Yahoo! fantasy basketball, where I get all my NBA information. None of this watching games bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just setting you up to show off your NBA knowledge, duh

    Opening night was interesting. A friend will be posting at length about the Blazers I'm sure, but I thought Oden's 12 boards, 5 blocks, 7 turnovers, 1 basket, and 5 fouls in 26 minutes was an interesting stat line from him. His relative success or not will be a determining factor for that team.

    The Lakers had an interesting game... we are different without Gasol (injury) but Bynum played quite well. Kobe looked slightly off his shot in the first game but he's a pro all around. Artest was not good in terms of shooting (3-for-10, attempted 5 threes) but despite the low percentage he gives us an interesting dimension. If he can settle down in our offense I really like what he adds to our squad.

    Arenas looked pretty good by the way, at least from the highlights. The Celtics did well beating the Cavs even though every time I watched it seemed the Cavs were playing better... not really sure what happened there. Still like the Cavs.

    ReplyDelete